Hotmail is a free web-based email service operated by Microsoft as part of Windows Live. It is one of the first web-based email services, was founded by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith and launched in July 1996 as “HoTMaiL“. It was acquired by Microsoft in 1997 for an estimated $400 million, and shortly after, it was rebranded as “MSN Hotmail“. The current version was released in 2011.On July 31, 2012, Microsoft announced a preview of Outlook.com, a new service that will eventually replace Hotmail. According to Microsoft, more than one million people signed up for the service during the first 24 hours. This is the first time in eight years when, Microsoft has completely redesigned Hotmail and now planning for hotmail.com replaced With outlook.com.
The site, arriving 16 years after Webmail was first introduced with Hotmail, and eight years after Google introduced Gmail, is said to be a “modern” take on email, designed for “the next billion mailboxes.”
Users can sign up for an address at Outlook.com, as well as set up the service on Windows Phone, iOS, Android or BlackBerry smartphones, and Windows 8, iOS and Android-running tablets. With Windows 8, Microsoft will begin offering the first of its Surface tablets Oct. 26. It will also launch Windows Phone 8 during the fourth quarter, on phones from partners Nokia, Samsung, HTC and Huawei.
Hotmail.com Replaced With Outlook.com
outlook.com is new type of webmail which has so many new fearures.These are:
- According to Microsoft , For starters, it has a minimalist aesthetic.The header has 60 percent fewer pixels and 30 percent more messages are visible in the inbox, compared to the other webmail.
- in this new webmail it is mainly focused on our Emails,becouse Emails are private.So,neither messages nor attachments are scanned for content to share with advertisers.
- Users can view and edit attachments without leaving the inbox,becouse It includes free Office Web Apps i.e.Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote.
- It is the first email service to connect directly to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google and, eventually, Skype. This is said to keep your social networks and contact lists better up-to-date, as well as to lessen the burden of dealing with email. Outlook.com automatically sorts contacts, newsletters, shipping updates and social updates from messages, making it easier to get to exactly what you want.
- It includes SkyDrive, Microsoft’s cloud-based file storage and sharing service. Jones writes-“If you’re sending photos, documents or just about any other file, you can now put them on SkyDrive and stop worrying about attachment limits..
- It uses Exchange ActiveSync, so there is a similar, and updated, experience across a user’s smartphone, tablet and desktop.
- It has an inbox with “virtually unlimited storage” and spam protection. As has come to be expected, it is also free.