Computers have reduced a lot of the work that people used to have to do in the past. They store informations and help people retrieve it. They also let people do their banking transactions from home, or even using mobiles device. However, a danger lurks here. There are unscrupulous users of Internet who would love to access money related informations and steal it from you. They use online viruses which are small iterating programs for their job. They enter the system surreptitiously and steal informations such as passwords and username. They also take personal correspondence and photographs that can cause a lot of agony when uploaded on any socials websites like Face-book. Emails become an open informations source for them to look for the datas that they need. So does that mean people should leave their computers and return to age-old methods? Not really. There are ways and means to keep online hackers away.
The following methods will help to keep any computer virus-free.
- Stop opening unsolicited emails in your emails inbox, regardless of how attractively it is worded. Sometimes emails can have a virus attached to them.
- Stop forwarding mails that promise fortune if sent to a specified number people within a few minutes. This mail itself may not be harmful, but it collects viruses on its way from infected systems. Similarly, it is not wise to open every forwarded mail unless it is from a known source.
- Use anti-virus programs to prevent the entry of viruses moving around the Internet. These programs scrutinize every mail coming into your inbox. While they may not be able to stop every virus, they can stop the majority of them since most viruses and hackings techniques are similar. Any such antivirus software should be constantly working behind the scenes rather than periodically announcing that it has caught a virus and quarantined it. Since virus creation and anti-virus development is a constant process, any dependable anti-virus softwares continues to update databases on users’ systems, effectively stopping newly developed viruses from accessing the system. This is also the reason people should periodically run the anti-virus because there is always some time lag between the time that virus is created and the anti-virus protection is developed for it. Some of the programs like Bitdefender Free Antivirus will update quietly and in real time, saving you the trouble of having to check for updates.
- Do not downloads any free music and free game. Knowing how crazy people are about music and game, hackers use them as vehicles for transporting their viruses. Do not visit pornographic sites, as they are ideal places for hackers to hide viruses.
- Do not visit websites that you do not really need. While browsing is common activity, there can be some websites popping up that seem to be rather intriguing. If they promise something that seems to be too good to be true, it likely is.
- Do not furnish informations about yourself to anybody who uses regular mailing sites like Gmail, Rediff, and Yahoo, instead of using the contact address of their company for collecting informations about you.
- Do not store sensitive informations such as username and password on the computer. If you have to, use a complex password. Likewise, do not store or upload any pictures that you do not intend to be made public at any time. Moreover, do not share your usernames and passwords with anybody.
- Always follow the instructions of the bank sites for accessing your account, and always logout, even from your emails.
- Periodically check informations about computer viruses from notifications given by companies. Such informations is released with suggested methods to prevent them.
These measures are almost enough to prevent any major hackings or virus problem in the system.